Sunday 11 November 2007

Manic episode

So I've finished my work here, and am off for a week of travelling. I can't say I'm too sad. It's been interesting, but it's also made me question whether I can do this for the rest of my working life. Just as when you do a Dermatology firm, you examine every flaw and blemish on your skin, doing Psychiatry makes me acutely aware of my mental state-my moods, my personality traits, my anxieties, and I'm not sure that's a good thing (I wonder if Gastro would be a better metaphor...). If I could get over that, I think I'd be good at it though. We'll see.


Anyway, I'm off travelling tomorrow, and at the moment am trying to organise warm clothes, toiletries, fig rolls and so on, before my 8 o'clock flight (4am wake up!). So I thought I'd write a few things that have made me smile lately.

1. I went to see a friend of a friend's reggae-jazz band this week. My hopes were not high; I'm not a huge reggae fan, jazz is my least favourite musical genre ever, and when you say yes to seeing your friend's friend's band, it usually translates as "OK, I'll come as it's your friend's band. I know they won't be very good, but I'll have to pretend they are anyway, so as not to upset anyone."

Actually they were really good. Really fun. And what was also funny were the people who came to see them. The Montreal trendy types, who want to look like 60s beat poets. There was this one guy- beret, beard, wire-rimmed glasses....and a red fleece. Soooo Canadian! He looked like he might go into the woods, pitch a tent, fight with a bear, and then write a poem about it, smoking Gaulloises.



2. I bought some lovely boots last week. They were cowboy boots (which I never thought I'd wear, but they're very Mtl), half price. Unfortunately they were also Vegetarian.

"They're not leather!" I wailed to my companion, who I had dragged along for a second opinion

"But that's a desirable thing here!" She replied.

Love this city and it's hippies!



3. I love the Anglicism used in Quebecois French. It's very common for patients with depression to describe their symptoms with the statement "Je ne feel pas". Similarly, the family of a schizophrenic patient might be asked "Est-ce qu'il vous a watché au maniere suspicieux?"

Others include "Luncher" (to have lunch), "un char" (car) and "une blonde" (woman, girlfriend)



4. I went to Quebec city yesterday and spent some time with the international students here. Never have I felt more European than when sat at a table with 2 German guys, one Dutch guy, and two Australian girls, one shouting "OK, guys! Let's play ice-breaker games! What's everyone's favourite food? Go go go!" as us Europeans sat in awkward, repressed-European silence! It was a fun day though.


5. Over the last few days I have eaten: Arabic sharwarma, Jewish smoked meat sandwich, French onion soup, Belgian waffles, Greek gyros and Canadian crepes. I love the diversity of this city (but it's not good for my waistline!)

I will be travelling for the next week, so I don't know when I'll next write. Oooh, exciting!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not "je ne feel pas", it's "je ne file pas", and it is very much French, not an anglicism.

The Little Medic said...

enjoy your travels

jysika said...

How about "shut uppez vous"??
I know some french, more like franglish, so whenever I don't know a word in french I usually add "-ez" or "-er" to it... :P

I am very impressed with your ability to understand Quebecois French. I can't. It's really bad. I've been in French for 7 years and I cannot carry on a french convo- other then in french class ( Pamplemousse stylo, n'est pas? and weird things like that)

Anyways, have a nice trip! Don't come to uhm, the city I'm in cause it's raining!! :)

(I don't know if I told you this yet. But I somehow found your blog, and I like it. I'm not a stalker :) I'm friends with Xavier (she has a blog) and I read a whole bunch of other med blogs too)

Maple Leaf Medic said...

anonymous, it was a guy from Grenoble who told me 'filer' comes from the English 'to feel'. In France, 'filer' means to spin wool. But then we all know that Canadian French isn't 'proper' French.... ;-p