Sunday 4 November 2007

Fake Blood, Real Life

I've been a bit sad this past week. Not because I'm having a bad time, if anything it's becuase I'm having such a great time and don't want to leave. My time here is fast coming to an end, and I know that once I return there's nothing between me and the huge chasm of finals coming to swallow me up 'til June....

Anyway, weekends are good! On Friday I went to this party. It was a ridiculously trendy party, held in a loft in a converted warehouse in a very fashionable old industrial party of town. Everyone there looked like they should be an extra member of the Scissor Sisters, or at the very least, be attending drama school. Because the theme was still Halloween, there were drag queens, fairies with wings, body paint and fangs. And because everyone was so trendy, there was lots of 'ironic' dancing, 80s music and $100 haircuts made to look as if they'd been done by a blind man with a pair of blunt scissors.

It was kind of intimidating at first, but I ended up having a really good night. The only 'funny' moment was when a girl who I have been introduced to once before, but wouldn't say I 'know' was sitting at the bar with me (they charged for entry and drinks but it was all pretty cheap).

As it was a Halloween party, we spotted a tube of 'fake blood' on the table. She was playing with it, then she said "Hey, we should put fake blood on our wrists!"

I said "No, thanks" , thinking of the real patient I'd seen earlier that day, whose wrists did not have fake blood on them.

"Go on" She said, drawing it on her own, and grabbing my wrist.

"No, really" I said, shuddering inwardly, and went to get another drink.


Yesterday was nice, I spent the day at the market and the little shops on Bernard (vintage/local designers-bit like Spitalfields), wanting to buy *everything* in sight, then said goodbye to a British friend in the evening by going to a club (my weekends are much more fun than my weeks!) and eating cheap pizza slices on the way home, as the cold winds seeped through our toes like water. Today I'm going to go to the park and then maybe return to some shops where I asked them to keep a few things for me....!

And in other news, I think, finally, I'm almost certain about where I'm applying for my foundation posts. Fingers crossed!

No comments: