Thursday 11 October 2007

Sometimes you have to wonder who the psychiatrists are....

Another on-call, another free meal ticket.

As I queued up to 'pay' with my 'on call meal ticket', the guy at the till smiled at me and said "Have a good on-call tonight".

I thanked him.

As I picked up my tray, he said "Psych, right?"

I have never met this guy before. I was not wearing my "You don't have to mad to work here but it helps" badge. I did not have a top pocket filled with sedating anti-psychotics. I do not have a beard.

Google images reckons 'psychiatrist' looks like this:



Or alternatively this:

(I'd rather look like her, although she looks as though she's thinking "Oh my God what should I do with this small child? Well, the drugs company of the website I'm modelling for make Haldol...now there's a thought...")

I look like neither of these. You couldn't even say I had 'acquired' a look of the psychiatrists here, as I've been here 3 weeks (and done about 7 weeks of psychiatry prior to that). There's nothing on my badge to say psychiatry, I wasn't carrying a psychiatry textbook on me, nor was I with any other member of the Psych team.

So I asked him how he knew.

He replied, with a grin "It takes a special kind of person to do psychiatry."


I can't work out if this was a compliment or not.

6 comments:

S said...

I blame it on your choice of cufflinks :0)

The Shrink said...

[sweeping generalisation]

But he's got a point . . .

. . . most shrinks are different animals to surgeons, say.

[/sweeping generalisation]

Shiny Happy Person said...

This blog makes me awfully proud of you, you know.

My little protege....





Ok, I sound like a dirty old man, don't I?

Maple Leaf Medic said...

But SHP, you *are* a dirty old man....:-p

Thank you, though, that means a lot to me.

And talking of blogs, yours has been awfully quiet lately :-( Come back!

Shiny Happy Person said...

Shushy! My readers are under the impression that I am a young female doctor.

I've been too busy to blog. Responsibilities, you know. You'll understand when you're grown up like me. Ahem.

Go and eat some poutine.

The Shrink said...

SHP, and then you'll be a Consultant and have New Ways of Working claw oodles of work off you so you've time to consult with Dr Google et al rather more often ;-)